Friday, November 7, 2008

New generation journalist

Emily Sweeney’s visit was really inspirational. I think she represents the young journalists generation and that demonstrates just how challenging that is, because she does pretty much everything, from thinking of the story she’s going to do, shooting the footage for it, edit and write the story, she’s incredible!

I confess I felt a little relieved when I saw her videos: they are creative and interesting, but the quality of them was pretty rough and spontaneous.

I found many useful tools in Emily’s tips. Since we talked about the importance of social networks for journalists, I found a Myspace and Facebook network for journalists and I joined them, of course. She also mentions Wired Journalists, which we are already part of. I was surprised to find out that my space community is also pretty small, only 55 members, although I believe the bulletins published there are very interesting: they announce seminars and events, something I did not find easily in Wired journalists comunity. Facebook has only 14 members, unbelievable!. She is also the creator of both communities, hopefully will get more journalists in there.

During her visit she also mentioned the importance of having your own site, and you can find how to do that going to her website and then clicking here. All the detailed steps, from how to acquire a domain to how to build the site are there. I already have my domain so I will definitely follow her advice.

The Ethics Hotline is something I would have never thought of, and I'm pretty sure there are not many places that do this, it is innovative but speacilly helpful for journalists who have an ethics dilemma. I'm not sure how it works though, I will definitely try it.

Her website also has a list of New England Media and a link to Newspaper Guild database to find out how much journalists earn. Very helpful information for new and young journalists that have a lot to learn!

Emily is a sample of what current journalists should work like. We can not talk about the future work, because if we have to work with cameras to be print journalists nowadays, who knows what we'll have to do in 10 years!

No comments: